1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Rinse turkey inside and out; dry well with paper towels. Season inside and out with salt and pepper to taste. Tuck wings under; tie drumsticks with kitchen string. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan.
2. In a small bowl combine butter and Cajun seasoning; brush half on turkey. Pour 2 cups of the broth into roasting pan. Tent turkey loosely with foil; roast 2 hours. Remove foil and baste with remaining seasoned butter and pan drippings. Raise heat to 425°F and roast 45 minutes to 1 hour or until instant-read thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 165°F. Baste with pan drippings, or cover breast with foil as needed, during final minutes of roasting.
3. Meanwhile, for stock for gravy, heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Brown neck and giblets, about 5 minutes. Add celery, carrot, onion, bay leaf, thyme, broth and 4 cups water; bring to a simmer and cook 35 minutes. Pour stock through a fine-mesh sieve into bowl. Skim and discard fat. Place stock in saucepan over low heat.
4. Remove pan from oven; transfer turkey to a platter, leaving juices in pan. Skim fat from pan juices; reserve 1/4 cup fat. Set pan over two burners on medium-high heat. Add 1 cup stock and stir 1 minute, scraping up browned bits. Pour pan juices into stock; simmer.
5. Meanwhile, whisk together flour and reserved fat in a heavy-bottomed pan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, 3 minutes. Add hot stock mixture, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Add Bourbon and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
|Serving Size 1|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 470||Calories from Fat 229|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 25g||38%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||47%|
|Total Carbohydrate 4g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.04g|